NHS Logo

Retirement, death in service, Ill health retirement

After you have agreed your intended retirement date with NHS England you should request the AW8 form and a copy of the NHS Pensions Retirement Guide either from PCSE via the enquiries form, or download the form and guide directly from the NHS Pensions website.

This should be done approximately 4 to 6 months before the intended retirement date to enable PCSE to process the application, and to allow enough time for NHS Pensions to make the necessary payment arrangements.

Complete Parts 7 to 15 of the AW8 form with your personal details and return the form to PCSE together with any relevant certificates. Only original or certified copies of original documents are acceptable. Please ask your practice manager or another GP to sign a copy to say they have seen the original.

Forms should be submitted to PCSE via the enquiries form.

It is important that the member completes these parts including any relevant National Insurance numbers. Guidance notes for members are included at the back of AW8 form.

To be considered for Ill health retirement, you should download the complete the AW33E form which can be downloaded  here

PART A should be completed by the Employing Authority

PART B should be completed by the pension scheme Member

PART C should be completed by the Occupational Health Doctor - where this is not possible, the report can be completed by your GP / Specialist

Once complete, the AW33E form should be sent to PCSE via the enquiries form.

Guidance regarding Ill health retirement is available on the AW33E form.

If you qualify for ill health retirement benefits you must complete form AW8, which can be downloaded from the NHS Pensions website here to request payment of these benefits. Once complete, the AW8 form should be sent to PCSE.

Forms should be submitted via the enquiries form.

The Member’s representative – practice or NHS local team should contact PCSE and provide:

  • Member’s full name
  • National Insurance or NHS Pension Scheme reference number (SD number) of the member if possible
  • The Member’s date of birth, date of death and place of work (preferably the practice code)
  • Details of the next of kin/legal representative, marital status, whether there are any legal dependants i.e. children
  • The next of kin/legal representative’s home address

PCSE will then send the relevant forms to be completed by the next of kin/legal representative to their home address along with a covering letter.

The forms should be completed by the next of kin/legal representative and returned to PCSE along with original/certified copies of ID documents/marriage certificate/decree absolute/civil partnership and death certificate.

Forms should be submitted to PCSE via the enquiries form.

PCSE will calculate the initial widow/widowers pension benefits and send a letter to the next of kin/legal representative confirming the amounts to be paid.

PCSE will forward this information along with the forms that have been completed by the next of kin/legal representative to the NHS Pensions who will instruct the payment of the initial pension. NHS Pensions will calculate the benefits to be paid to the next of kin/dependents and will send a letter of confirmation.