NHS Logo


Accessing my own medical records

The Data Protection Act 2018 (DPA) and the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) gives an individual the right to ask for a copy of the information an organisation holds about them – this right is commonly known as a Subject Access Request (SAR). This means that if you are registered with a GP, for example, you can ask them to provide you with information they hold about you, like your medical records.


Requesting information from a primary care provider

A request for information from health records has to be made with the organisation that holds the health records – the data controller. This can be your GP, optician or dentist. You'll need to contact the organisation and ask them how to make a subject access request for your medical records.


Requesting information from a hospital

For hospital health records, the individual should contact the records manager or patient services manager at the relevant hospital trust. You can find a list of hospital trusts on the NHS Choices website.


Let us know how satisfied you are with this Medical Records webpage by clicking a star below

very satisfied satisfied dissatisfied very dissatisfied

Your feedback is useful to us. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.