NHS Logo

Change of status (GP Trainee to qualified GP)

GP trainees who have newly qualified can work whilst their change notification is being processed by PCSE as they are on the performers list and will be showing on the performers list website.  The individual can show they are qualified by producing their certificate of completed training (CCT)  This is also reflected on the GMC register which any employer can check if they so wish.

  1. GP trainees legally cease to be trainees when the GP trainee achieves their CCT and the GMC register is updated.
  2. NHS England policy requires GP trainees to provide evidence that they have completed their training and to complete a change in status (NPL3) form, enabling PCSE to update their status on the performers list.  If the GP trainee has evidenced this, they have fulfilled their obligations under the regulations and NHS England policy.
  3. The change in status on the Performers List itself does not require NHS England Medical Director (MD) / Responsible Officer (RO) approval as this is a routine administrative process.
  4. During this period of time, and in the event that an enquiry regarding their status is received from either the recently qualified trainee or an organisation wishing to use their service, MDs or their delegated officers should assure themselves that the trainee has completed their training by either checking the GMC register, and or liaising with HEE if they are a GP trainee. If the MD or their delegated officer can assure themselves via this route, there should be no reason why the trainee should not be permitted to practise independently whilst the administrative change in status is undertaken. 
  5. If the GP is joining a practice PCSE will email the new (joining) practice to confirm the change, request joining date and number of sessions the performer will be working in the practice
  6. Estimate of GP NHS Pensionable Profits/Pay - as soon as the performer receives confirmation that the change has been finalised, the new practice is required to submit an Estimate of GP NHS Pensionable Profits/Pay via the PCSE online form (select GP pensions as the subject enquiry type). The practice should state in the correspondence that the estimate is being submitted in relation to a recent performers list change.