Skip to main content

HC5 (O) Refunds


Depending on your circumstances, you may be eligible for help paying for eyecare costs. Visit the NHS Business Services Authority (NHSBSA) website using the link below for more information.

If you are entitled to help, this page tells you more about applying for a refund for eye care using the HC5 (O) refund form. 

Where can I find the HC5 (O) form?

You can ask your optician for a copy of the HC5 (O) form or you can:

  • download and complete the HC5 (O) form from the NHS Business Services Authority website here
  • or order the form online and it will be posted to your home address 

How is the refund made?

The refund will be made by BACS (also known as bank transfer) only.

Filling out the form

Here are some tips for filling out the form:

  • complete all relevant parts of the form
  • remember to check your bank details are correct in Part 2 of the form
  • make sure you sign and date the form
  • include an original receipt or prescription if relevant
  • submit the form to your Job Centre Plus or Pension Centre for authorisation, as advised in Part 4 of the form
  • make sure you submit the form within 3 months of the date you paid for the sight test, glasses or contact lenses

Frequently asked questions

Feedback block

Let us know how satisfied you are with this webpage by clicking a button below.