NHS Logo

Have you received a letter about the details the NHS holds for you?

We have recently written to some patients to confirm if the home address the NHS holds for them is up to date.  GPs need to have up to date addresses for their patients to ensure you receive important information about your health.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s) for Patients about the letter you have received in relation to your registration with your GP Practice

If your GP does not have an up to date record of your home address, then they may not be able to contact you with important information about your health. The list of patients registered at each GP practice is used by the NHS to contact patients to offer appointments, invite them to screening programmes and to provide test results.  This includes screening for bowel, breast and cervical cancer, and appointments for vaccinations against infectious diseases such as flu, measles, mumps and rubella.

In the first instance the patient should contact their GP Practice. The GP Practice should contact PCSE here to ascertain the reasons for the patient removal. PCSE will then advise the GP practice on the reasons for the removal and provide advice on what action they will need to take.

PCSE carry out data quality checks on patient lists on behalf of NHS England. Patients registered a receive a letter to ensure that the details held on the system used by PCSE are accurate and up to date. The Integrity of the data held by both PCSE and the patient’s registered GP practice is important as the data is used by various screening programs to determine their eligibility for various screening programs as well as producing invites and result letters.

Yes, to access the letter in a different language please visit www.pcse.england.nhs.uk/translate

Please follow the instructions on the enclosed form to confirm the NHS hold the correct details for you.

If we do not receive the information from you within ten days of receipt of this letter, it will be assumed that you have moved home address and we will begin the process of removing you from this GP’s list. This means you will not receive important information about your health and will no longer be registered with a GP practice.

There are instructions explaining how to respond included on the letter. Your options include text message, online form or postal form.

Accessing medical records

The Data Protection Act 2018 (DPA) and the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) gives an individual the right to ask for a copy of the information an organisation holds about them – this right is commonly known as a Subject Access Request (SAR). Subject Access Requests can be made as follows:

  • A request for information from health records has to be made with the organisation that holds the health records – the data controller. For example, the GP, optician or dentist.
  • For hospital health records, the individual should contact the records manager or patient services manager at the relevant hospital trust. You can find a list of hospital trusts on the NHS Choices website.

GP health records for un-registered or deceased individuals

NHS England is the data controller of GP health records where an individual is not currently registered with a GP or is deceased. To request access to your own health records or those of a deceased person, the most efficient way to submit the request is to complete the application form which can be downloaded here.  This will ensure all the relevant details are captured and will avoid confusion or misunderstanding.  The application form contains information regarding your rights and how your application will be dealt with. Please take the time to read it carefully.

To receive a copy of a medical record, appropriate identification documents must be provided. If you are making the application as an individual’s legal representative (e.g. a solicitor), we need to receive written authorisation from the applicant for you to act on their behalf and receive their medical record.

Please send your completed application form and copies of relevant identification documentation via email to pcse.accessrequests@nhs.net. If you are unable to submit your request via email please forward your completed application to the following postal address:

FAO Access Team

Capita Intelligent Communications,

Building 17,

Units 2 & 6,

Lingfield Point,

McMullen Road,



If you have any queries please email us at: pcse.accessrequests@nhs.net or call us on: 0333 014 2884.

You can find more information about accessing health records on the NHS Choices website.

You can find more detail on your information rights on the NHS England website here.

To download an overview of the access to health record process, please click here.

Registration queries

Patients should contact their GP practice directly for any queries regarding their registration.