PCSE processes new patient registrations and de-registrations at GP practices. We ensure that NHAIS (the national patient records database) reflects what is shown in each practice’s patient list.
Each quarter, we carry out a ‘close of quarter’ process to verify the quarterly patient list size for each practice.
Registering new patients at your practice
Whilst all clinical systems are slightly different, we have pulled together some hints and tips to help ensure patients are registered at practices as smoothly as possible.
- When completing the registration on your clinical system, please ensure that all details provided on the GMS-1 form are inputted. In particular, please ensure the following fields are complete:
- Current home address including the postcode
- Previous home address (where applicable) including the postcode
- The free text box (also termed ‘additional notes’ on some clinical systems) should only be used to confirm further details that may help us locate the patient details - such as confirming if the patient has been out of the country for a long period of time. Please do not confirm registration type in this box (i.e. new patient, baby, immigrant.)
- Patients moving to your practice from Northern Ireland and Scotland should be treated as a regular transfer in, as if they were moving from a practice in England.
- NHS number for new babies should always be provided.
Removal of patients from your practice list
To request removal of a patient from your practice list, please complete the form which can be downloaded here and email it to: firstname.lastname@example.org
This form and email address should be used for immediate removals (patients who need to be referred to the Special Allocation Scheme) and for standard eight day removal requests.
For immediate removals, the incident must have been reported to the police and a police incident number needs to be provided to PCSE within seven days. Immediate removal requests will be processed within 24 hours of receipt of the form.